Monday, November 29, 2004

How to Make IT Conversations Self-Sustaining?

Doug Kaye writes:

"I'd like your help in deciding how to make IT Conversations self-sustaining. As is true for other podcasters (if you can call IT Conversations a podcast) this is virgin territory. No one really knows what will work and what won't. But if any business model is to be successful it's got to meet the needs of the listeners without whom there would be no business to model.

I'm not desperate. IT Conversations isn't about to die or disappear if I don't get a sudden infusion of cash. I've kept the expenses low -- there's no staff -- and I've got enough in the bank to eat, pay the mortgage, and more. But I've been so flat-out busy with production that I've done virtually nothing to cover the expenses let alone pay myself a salary. And that bank account is going the wrong way, particularly compared to the days of getting those CEO/CTO salaries."